Website Design for VAs and Freelancers: How to Create a Website
Why do I need to create a website?
To get noticed online you need to have a website. Clients have told me that they have a page on Facebook and that should be enough but have you thought what would happen if Facebook closed? You don't own it. You have no control over it and your business could disappear over night. I've heard of a number of business owners who depend on their online presence who have lost a lot of business when a third party website has closed down. If you want to have more security then you need to create your own website. Your own ‘real estate' online.
However, building your first website can feel a bit overwhelming. After all, there are so many choices. Here are three things to consider when you create your first website.
1 What is the purpose of your website?
When it comes to becoming visible on the web you first need to decide what it is that you want.What are you going to do on the website? Here are 7 of the most popular type of website that you can choose to create.
- Personal or brochure style
- Essentially content (text, images, videos, etc.) displayed on a static page.
- A website designed to showcase your work. Often used by photographers, designers, and artists.
- Business Website
- For businesses that require more than a portfolio. Features such as maps, analytics, CRM integrations, booking software, live chat, and customer reviews.
- E Commerce Website
- A website designed for online shops where you can sell your products directly to customers.
- A site designed to publish content: articles, posts, news articles
- Review Sites
- A site which uses customer-generated reviews.
- Landing Page
- A website (often one page) designed to maximise conversions. In other words gets visitors to perform a specific task such as subscribe to a list or download a report
2 What platform is best for your website?
Once you know what you want to accomplish with your website, it’s time to choose your website platform. There are a number of options here. The best platform depends on the type of website you want to create
It might take you some time to build your website; however, you’ll be able to create it one hundred percent on your own.
Another option is to use your website host's predesigned templates. These templates are often customizable and are a pretty quick and easy way to get a website up online.
3 Navigation and format.
Before you create your website or hire someone to do it for you, you’ll want to draft your website on paper. Decide what pages you want your website to have.
How are people going to find what they need? How will they navigate your website? What categories or buttons will you have? How will you share your information and how will you promote your products or services? Figuring all of this out before you begin creating your website will help ensure it is a success.
Creating your first website is a strategic process. However, much of the work will be done on paper as you plan the purpose and layout of your website.
Once you know exactly what you’re creating, you can find the best tools to create your site and make it a reality.
If setting up a wordpress website is something you just don't want to do then visit Website in a weekend and I'll be happy to set it up for you.