In the world of modern day commerce, no one's out to do you any favors. Unless you make yourself heard and seen, you should not expect customers to walk in just like that. The problem with a home based business is, well, that you are doing it out of home. So you miss out on the benefits of having an office, employees and a more professional appearance. But this is no reason for you to sulk and sit back waiting for things to happen.
You can make things happen on your own, if you are resourceful enough. So what if you have a shoestring budget to promote your venture? Why don't you,
1. Start networking aggressively. Which other marketing tool can be cheaper yet more effective? When you attend parties, weddings, seminars, debates etc don't stand in a corner and let the opportunity go to waste. Mingle with people, talk and try to make meaningful conversations which can give you a chance to speak about your business.
2. Networking can also happen online. When you log in to your social networking profile don't waste time in useless banter. Instead try to inform your contacts about what you do.
3. Another thing you can do is join a small business promotion organization in your area. These are groups of entrepreneurs like you who pool their promotional budgets to reach out to a larger number of people. You can also establish mutually beneficial bonds with other businesses.
4. Press releases can be done both online and offline. You can post your press releases in your local trade journal or relevant sites on the internet at a low cost.
5. Spend time with the people who have made it big. Try to develop contacts with people who have ‘been there and done that'. For every five people who snub your efforts to learn from them, one person might be happy to help you. Take advantage of that!
6. If you are a decent speaker, you can post podcasts on the internet. These are basically voice messages that people can download and listen to.
A home business can be very profitable too. So give it your best shot!Follow me