The internet has grown up. It's been more than 20 years since the first website was created by Tim Berners-Lee in 1991. There are now over a billion websites online!! The first site was text only and looked like this:
It can be seen at http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html. When it first came out the barebones website was designed to explain the World Wide Web to newcomers. It was considered amazing in those days. A website which looked like this today would not however get much attention.
Websites can be cold and uninviting unless you offer viewers treats and inspiring content. You have only a few seconds to attract people to stay. However, you can turn your website into a favourite stop on the internet by adding rich content that makes your site useful, interesting and fun to visit.
In some respects you can apply the human attraction characteristics to what makes attractive websites. The website should have a pleasing ―personality for example. It should be inviting and easy to interact with. You should be able to understand what it is saying.
It is frustrating to visit a website you know has good information and be unable to find it. It doesn‘t take long for people to abandon a site they can‘t manoeuvre through or around easily. Links should be well-placed and obvious. Did you know that the space a link occupies can affect your sales? Move a link from the bottom corner of a page to the top of the page (above the fold) where it‘s eye level and sales will rise.
Here are a few more tips to consider when creating your website.
- Include high quality content
- Keep instruction simple because viewers aren‘t going to read an instruction manual to learn how to click around the website
- Make it easy for customers to find the important links like product listing or descriptions
- Make sure the background and text colors mix well and that text is easily readable
- Keep opt-in forms or subscriber boxes very basic
- Writing should be grammatically correct and error free
- Don‘t try to be cute because it annoys people who are just trying to find and buy what they need and want to get the job done as quickly as possible
- Keep the website fairly simple and don‘t let it get too busy looking or too ―stuffed‖
- Make sure all the links on the website work properly
If you want to “Get your word out” using a website make sure it is attractive and functional and place on the internet that visitors want to stop by.
I'm small business mentor and marketing strategist, Anne Elizabeth Perez and would love to connect with you. If you are new to the world of business ownership please check out my training on boost your visibilityand discover how to increase the size of your audience